Independent assurance report
To the Management of Hansel Oy
We have been engaged by the Management of Hansel Oy (hereafter Hansel) to provide limited assurance information presented for the reporting period 1.1.–31.12.2013 in the Corporate Responsibility report -section and its subsections in Hansel’s electronic Annual Report 2013, (hereafter Sustainability Information).
The Management of Hansel is responsible for the preparation and presentation of the Sustainability Information in accordance with the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) Sustainability Reporting Guidelines G4 core level.
Our responsibility is to carry out a limited assurance engagement and to express an independent conclusion on the information subject to the assurance. We have conducted the engagement in accordance with the Finnish Institute of Authorised Public Accountants’ Standard 3000 Assurance Engagements other than Audits or Reviews of Historical Financial Information. We do not accept or assume responsibility to anyone other than Hansel for our work, for this assurance report, or for the conclusions we have reached.
Limitations of the engagement
Data and information related to sustainability are subject to inherent limitations applying to data accuracy and completeness, which are to be taken into account when reading our assurance report. The presented Sustainability Information is to be considered in connection with the explanatory information on data collection, consolidation and assessments provided by Hansel. Our assurance report is not intended for use in evaluating Hansel’s performance in executing the sustainability principles Hansel has defined. To assess the financial state and performance of Hansel, Hansel’s audited Financial Statement for the year ended 31 December 2013 is to be consulted.
The work performed in the engagement
Our assurance procedures are designed to obtain limited assurance on whether the Sustainability Information is presented in accordance with the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) Sustainability Reporting Guidelines G4 core level in all material respects. A limited assurance engagement consists of making inquiries, primarily of persons responsible for the preparation of the Sustainability Information, and applying analytical and other evidence gathering procedures, as appropriate. The evidence gathering procedures mentioned above are more limited than for a reasonable assurance engagement, and therefore less assurance is obtained than in a reasonable assurance engagement.
In our engagement we have performed the following procedures:
- Interviews with three members of the management to reassert our understanding of the connection between Hansel’s sustainability procedures and Hansel’s business strategy and operations as well as sustainability objectives;
- An assessment of the Sustainability Information’s conformity with the principles of the G4 guidelines for defining content and reporting quality;
- An assessment of coverage of the material aspects selected for the Sustainability Information and the definition of reporting boundaries in the context of Hansel’s business operations and sector;
- A review of the performance data and assertions presented in the Sustainability Information, and testing of data accuracy and completeness through samples from Hansel’s information systems;
- An assessment of data management processes, information systems and working methods used to gather and consolidate the presented Sustainability Information;
- Comparison of the presented Sustainability Information to underlying rules of procedure, management and reporting systems as well as documentation;
Based on the assurance procedures performed, nothing has come to our attention that causes us to believe that the information subject to the assurance engagement is not presented in accordance with the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) Sustainability Reporting Guidelines G4 core level in all material respects.
Helsinki, March 28, 2014
KPMG OY AB
Senior Manager, Advisory